How to Recover Data from Backup after Jailbreaking iPhone
People jailbreak their iPhone to remove software restrictions imposed by iOS system so that they can customize their iPhone in every possible way. Although jailbreaking iPhone frees your device, it can cause a series of issues like data loss. How can you recover iPhone data after jailbreak when data loss happens?
If you have regular backups made by iTunes or iCloud, it’s not a big deal, as iTunes and iCoud keep a separate backup file of your iPhone data including contacts, text messages, WhatsApp messages, call history, photos, videos, notes, calendar, etc. You can restore your jailbroken iPhone from the iTunes or iCloud backup to get lost data back. But don’t sync your iPhone with iTunes after you lost contents, or your previous data will be overwritten and you won’t get it back. Here we will detail 3 ways to recover data from backup after jailbreaking iPhone.
Method 1: Selectively Recover Data from iPhone Backup
You can make use of a third-party tool, such as the Free iPhone Backup Extractor, to selectively recover data from iPhone backup after jailbreak. This software allows you to extract and recover deleted/lost photos, videos, messages, contacts, notes, etc. from iTunes backup. It is available for both the Mac and Windows computer. Here’s what the iPhone Backup Extractor can do for you.
Features of iPhone Backup Extractor
- Archive iPhone backups on the computer by the date of backup.
- Freely view and access kinds of backup data in detail.
- Selectively extract and recover data from backup to computer or external drive.
- Export and save data on computer in readable formats like PDF, TXT, CSV, etc.
Now, download and install the iPhone Backup Extractor freely on your computer, and then see how to recover iPhone data from backup after jailbreak.
- Step 1. Run the software on your computer. Then choose the backup that you want to extract data from and click “Next” to go on.
- Step 2. Select the file types that you want to restore from backup and then click “Next” to begin scanning.
- Step 3. Preview the scanned files in detail. Then mark those you want and click “Recover” to save them on your computer.
This method won’t affect or overwrite any newly-generated data on your iPhone after iOS jailbreaking.
Method 2. Full Restore iPhone Data from iTunes Backup
If you have no vital newly-generated data on your jailbroken iPhone, it is a good option for you to do a full restore from backup via iTunes. But you are not allowed to select what you want to recover.
- Step 1. Open iTunes on your computer. If you are using a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder.
- Step 2. Unlock and connect your iPhone to the computer via a USB cable. If asked, type in your device passcode or Trust This Computer.
- Step 3. Select your device when it appears in the iTunes or Finder window.
- Step 4. Click on Restore Backup.
- Step 5. Pick the most relevant backup and click Restore to start the restore process.
Don’t disconnect your iPhone until it restarts and finishes syncing with your computer.
Method 3. Restore iCloud Backup to the Jailbroken iPhone
If you backed up your device to iCloud instead of iTunes, then you can recover the data by restoring the whole iCloud backup to your jailbroken iPhone. It is fairly straightforward.
- Step 1. Turn on your iPhone and you’ll see the Hello screen. If you have set up the device, you need to erase it first. Then follow the onscreen prompts until you reach the Apps & Data screen.
- Step 2. Click on Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Step 3. Sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID and passcode.
- Step 4. Choose the right backup file from the archived iCloud backup list.
- Step 5. Stay connected to Wi-Fi and wait for the restore time to end.
Recover iPhone Data after Jailbreak without Backup
If you’re lucky to have backed up your iPhone before data loss, you can recover lost data by restoring the jailbroken iPhone from backup. What if you don’t have any available backup? Don’t panic. You can resort to a third-party iPhone Data Recovery software, with which you can easily recover contacts, messages, photos, videos, and more from iPhone/iPad/iPod touch directly. It also enables data recovery from the iPhone backup.
Here’s how to use iPhone Data Recovery to recover iPhone data after jailbreak without backup.
- Step 1. Download, install and launch iPhone Data Recovery on your Mac or PC.
- Step 2. Connect your iPhone to the computer using a Lighting cable.
- Step 3. When you device detected, click Start Scan and the program will begin to scan your iPhone.
- Step 4. After that, the scanned files will be displayed in categories. You can click on each file type in the sidebar to view contents in detail.
- Step 5. When you find the data you need, mark them and click Recover to save them onto the computer.
To Sum Up
These are three methods of how to recover iPhone data from backup after jailbreak. The official way to get back data is to perform a full restore on your device from the iTunes or iCloud backup. If you want to keep newly-generated data on your jailbroken iPhone untouched, you can use the iPhone Backup Extractor. For those who have no backup, an iPhone Data Recovery tool can be helpful. We hope you have restored iPhone data after jailbreak successfully. If you need help in using the Free iPhone Backup Extractor or iPhone Data Recovery, please don’t hesitate to contact us via [email protected]